Friday, September 30, 2011

Finding Stability and Balance - A DIY tale of a soapers dilemma

In this house I make meals and raise children and run a business. One of the most difficult daily tasks is fitting it all in this space that is ours. There has to be a place for toys and food, people and soap.

If you look around you might think that soap is winning the battle for space. As I grow and create new products it becomes more daunting. One of the spaces I use is for curing soap. It's not fancy...purchased metal racks stacked one on the other and I can store about 8-10 batches at one time. If I time my soap making properly, that works out great. I've been using lined cardboard flats to transfer the soap from the cutting station to the drying rack.



If you are a soap maker you are familiar with the phenomenon of the dented bar. This happens to me frequently and last week as a took a cured batch down to box and label several bars took a tumble from my totally unstable transport tray. I knew I had to find something better.



I know many soap makers use the bakers racks used in professional bakeries to hold baked goodies. I have neither the space nor the disposable cash flow for one of those lovely pieces of furniture. So I headed out the garage and devised something smaller and more affordable that would accommodate my typical amount of curing bars.





With some scrap lumber and some cafeteria trays I found on-line, I spent less than $20 on a stable curing rack. I purchased several extra trays to use on the old rack that is still standing. When my arm is healed from the hand saw (remember--I'm not allowed to use power tools!!) I think I'll make a second one. Room for more soap and with any luck...fewer dented bars.

3 comments:

Tierra Verde Handmade Soap said...

That is exactly the system I thought I might go with when I have a sheddio some day.Let me know how it works out for you sister!Great job!

twobloomsdesignstudio said...

Wow that is impressive. Your pretty handy to be able to come up with that shelf and the price point is amazing. I'm thinking of ways to hold more soap as well instead of having some live upstairs in boxes.

Michelle

T.A. Helton said...

Awesome!