Friday, August 19, 2011

Back to School Craft Tutorial

Well, it's here...the buzz of school starting and packing lunches and running kids to soccer practice. I can't say I'm as excited as the boys, but glad they are thrilled to be learning (or seeing their friends!). I was even good, only snapped a few pictures and didn't require anyone to hug me before I left them at their desks yesterday.



Sending them back to school also means me pampering the teachers with things they need for the classroom and things to let them know how much I appreciate them taking my bundles under their wing and loving them almost as hard I as do!

We filled a basket for each teacher with dry eraser markers, pens, sticky notes, binder clips, and of course some bath and body products. This year I might have went a little over board, but when I saw this project I HAD to make it.

The inspiration for this project came from Ana White Homemaker blog (a new favorite crafty place that I frequent). I made a few tweeks so I could use what I had on hand.

Here's what I did.

What you need:
1- large wooden paint stick (we got ours free at Home Depot from our fence painting project)
2- 6" jumbo clothes pins
various scrapbook papers
decoupage glue (we used Mod Podge from Michael's)
large paint brush or foam brush
drill with bits
2-1" wood screws

Cut your scrap book paper to fit the tops of the jumbo pins and the paint stick. I had to piece the one for the paint stick, but that was ok because it will be covered by the pins later (just be sure to put the seam under where the pin will be). I also made some coordinating small pins for desktop use while I was at it.


Follow the instructions for your glue to adhere the paper to the pins and the stick. Allow to dry thoroughly.

Drill a hole in the top of the stick large enough to have it hang by a nail or screw. You can smooth the roughness with a bit of sand paper.



Now, with your pins face down, lie the stick on top also face down, lining up the pins with edges of the stick and far enough apart a sheet of paper can fit between. Hold in place and drill a small pilot hole (smaller than your screw) through the stick and into the thick part of the pin. Screw the pins to the stick from the back.

DONE!



Now you have a place to clip all your notes.

I'm going to be making the yard stick version for our house and hang under our vinyl calender for the kids to keep track of reading logs, soccer schedules, and the like. I'll post pictures when I get that one done...until then, I'm off to make soap!

Here's a little hint:




2 comments:

Jill said...

Very cute projects...thanks for sharing:)

Michael R. Hughes said...

Hi Kristi,

It's great to find creative ways to take care of the ones you love. Very practical ideas. Also, the photo of you two sons is precious.

Here's to a rewarding school year!