Thursday, August 26, 2010

Making THE Adjustment

Last week I sent my youngest off into the big bad world...well, to Kindergarten!

He loves it! He's a quick learner, already is friends with most everyone in his class, and especially loves his teacher. He is doing great! It is so exciting for him to get home at one o'clock (he goes half days). He always has so much to say about his day. Typically it is about recess, lunch, and some stuff he learned that "he can't remember".



So how am I doing? The first two days I made it through (I didn't even shed a tear) by cleaning my house from top to bottom. The third day I got to looking at photos and "remembering" and I lost my cool for a few minutes, but just a few. There is this quiet that surrounds me all morning that I am still trying to get accustomed to. There is no one following me around, asking me questions, needing my help, wanting a hug.

Now that my house is clean again, I am trying to get myself a"work" schedule. Being a stay at home mom you learn to be flexible and get things done on the spur of the moment. It's been a long time since I've worked on any time line and I desperately need to accomplish some of the business things I've been neglecting the past 3 years.

I'm not really sure how I'm going to make it work, but I've started with organizing my recipes and catching up on my summer book keeping. I've also tried my best to limit my time on the computer (ok on Facebook and in the Etsy forums). Doing these things has helped me gain an entire day to actually making things!! That is the exciting part for me, as that is really what I enjoy.

Next, I need to have a true daily schedule for creating, books, social media/advertising, and still work in the household things like dishes, laundry, and grocery shopping.

It will get there and then I'll have to readjust for summer vacation, but I am confident that now I can put more time in my business, while still getting to enjoy the return of my boys at the end of the day instead of trying to cram it all in together. I think I'm going to like it. Only time will tell, and I may just survive being SAHM without kids!

How have you made adjustments in your day to either accommodate children still at home or adjusting to them NOT being at home?

1 comment:

Stephnny said...

I too just sent my daughter to Kinder only she goes to school all day. I am a super anxious mother. I take her to school and I wait with her outside and don't leave till I see her walked in by her teacher safely into the building. I pick her up at 3. I am the only mother who waits outside the class room to pick up their child. I have this fear of her looking for me and I no where to be found...but maybe I'm scared of it happening the other way around hehe
I still have my 18mo old at home, but I do feel like I've gained so much more time especially now that we are not waking up at 10 anymore. It feels great having all those extra hours. I have started my own blog and am loving it (even though I only have few followers.) So I know exactly what you're saying. Thank you for this post :0)