Thursday, August 12, 2010

1 Million Pillowcase Challenge Update

I always like to get the kids involved in crafting activities and it is even better when it has an element of giving attached. Since neither one are big enough for me to turn loose on the sewing machine, I cut out pillowcase sized fronts from unbleached cotton muslin and let them draw pictures with fabric markers which we heat set before tossing in the laundry with our handmade laundry soap. Then each one selected their favorite fabrics out of my "stash" and I created a back and ends to coordinate with their drawings.

Here are our results.

L to R: Ryan (5 yrs) Sunshine, mine, Ethan (8 yrs) Puppy, mine



I ended up creating a third pillowcase with polka dots.

Today we hand delivered these to our local collection spot, Satin Stitches. The boys were very excited to get to carry their own cases into the shop. There we were pleased to find out our pillowcases will be donated locally. I am so glad I ran across this article about the 1 Million Pillowcase Challenge and hope that you can find a way to get involved. It really is amazing.

To find out more about this project see the AllPeopleQuilt website.

No comments: