Sunday, April 11, 2010

Let the Sun Shine Down

I do this every year...so anxious to get my hands in the earth, to feel the warmth of Spring sun on my skin that I forget my skin is pale...pastie even and NEEDS coverage. After a day of yard work, removing dead foliage, trimming wild stems, turning soil, and starting fresh new seedlings into the ground my bare arms and neck were a nice shade of pink.

I know this is not good for me or my skin. I do know that in the long run that it is better for me to "cover" up with a commercial sun block, but I would much rather use something a little more natural. I did a little research on "natural" sunscreens that I thought I would share with you.

The Skin Cancer Foundation recommends that sun block should have an SPF of at least 15 but higher numbers are suggested for longer lasting protection. SPF is not the only factor in providing protection of course. Ingredients are a very important aspect. Ingredients that provide the most UVA coverage are avobenzone, ecamsule, and zinc oxide.

The Daily Green has a list of top ten Natural and Organic sunscreens that were tested by the EWG as being safe and effective.

Other measures you can take include wearing dark or UV protected clothing, broad brimmed hats, and of course limit your exposure in general to the sun.



Of course if you are like me and forget to apply sunscreen those first Spring days out whether it be sunny or cloudy, you can help replenish your skin with a good dollop of natural aloe vera gel or liquid and stay out of the sun for a few days.

No comments: