Monday, March 1, 2010

Teaching Opportunity

I had another topic planned last week, but over the weekend I had the opportunity to share some of my knowledge with some elementary/middle school kids and wanted to share that for my Monday post this week instead.

It has been quite awhile since I've done any teaching, and it reminded me how much I do enjoy it. Of course this was a really low stress class with 4 elementary school students (and a 5 yr old whose mother later said she was "teaching" her dolls about soap later that evening!) who are involved in a local 4-H Chapter. They participate in various "projects" throughout the year in preparation for the County Fair. This group of kids are in the Crafts Project and are introduced to a variety of arts and crafts. When their project leader asked if I would be interested in presenting during one session, I didn't really have to hesitate.

What was the topic? Soap of course.

I introduced them to the concepts of Handmade soap vs. Commercial Soap, safety and cleanliness while soaping, and then we made some products of our own.
We started with a simple Melt and Pour soap project where they were able to melt down their own soap base, scent and color as desired, and mold. After we had the soap base poured we moved on to making a simple bath salt recipe and decorated and labeled jars. The recipe is as follows:

No Slip Bath Crystals

Ingredients:

½ cup Epsom Salt
½ cup non-iodized sea salt (fine or course grain)
½ cup baking soda
10 drops essential oil or fragrance oil
colorant (FD&C)



Instructions:

Combine all ingredients in a gallon sized zip bag.
Mix thoroughly until color and scent are well blended.
Transfer to clean jars or containers.
Label and give.


Label information:

Ingredients: Sodium bicarbonate, Sodium Chloride (sea salt), Magnesium sulfate, fragrance, and FD&C color.

They will be able to use these as projects to take to the county fair over the summer. They also made extra salts that will be incorporated into an upcoming auction.

I enjoyed being able to share some basic knowledge and skills to the kids. I hope they will be able to benefit from the information provided and I know they ended up with some great products to include in their projects.

No comments: