Monday, February 8, 2010

The Charmed Life

I must say that I have really never known true failure. I credit that to the encouraging environment that I grew up in. I was never told that I couldn't do something, but was let try. That didn't mean that everything I tried came out peaches and cream, but rather I learned to "learn" from my mistakes and move on. Even now as a married woman with two children I still live in a very encouraging realm. My husband is very tolerant of my projects and messes as I am constantly trying new things. My children think I can do no wrong (and what better way to have it!!) and the many friends I have are constant support groups for me.

The SAFEteam on Etsy is one of the biggest support groups I have in my soaping/business life. I am constantly learning from them, encouraged by them, and truly inspired by them.

This weekend as I entered my "Soap Kitchen" the SAFEteam was a huge resource for me. I am in the process of completing some things for an up coming show and needed to make two batches. I was at a point where I didn't really know what to create as I've made many different things the past couple weeks and really was running out of inspiration. I turned to the team and had an almost immediate response from one of team leaders, affectionately known as An (from Anhoki) on how to combine some fragrances I had on hand to make it my "own" -- which I am very into (do my own thing--not following the crowd). Thus the first batch was created and for the time being I am calling it Garden Walk. It is a floral blend with citrus notes. I like it and don't think it was too bad for a first attempt at blending. I am quite pleased with the way the color came out on this one. I am especially grateful to An for sharing her knowledge and telling me I CAN!



The second batch I had the fragrance picked out. It is called Basil Lime Papaya. Sounds complicated huh? I was first introduced to this scent last year in a SAFEteam swap (then known as the CYA team). This soap was made by Dana at Moon Maiden Soaps on Etsy and was so luxurious and the scent devine. She has since closed up shop to pursue other things, but when I first joined the team Dana was always so friendly, encouraging and uplifting. And while I didn't really get to know her as well as some other memebers perhaps did...I still cherish those early kindnesses. I didn't want to make this bar exactly like hers (a goats milk soap), but I wanted it to be reminiscent so I gave it a teal stripe.



Thank you everyone who inspires and encourages me along the way...I really feel blessed to be surrounded by such amazing friends, family and talented artists.

3 comments:

Erica said...

It is amazing what a difference an encouraging enviroment can make, what is more amazing is that it goes much further than telling someone they can do something to really make a person confident.

Burnt Mill Candles and Soap said...

yay SAFETeam!
I wish I could smell your new ones :)

Braggin' Rights said...

Very encouraging- thanks! As I am trying to go with a few other gals into the 100 listings/100 days challenge...

I'm already wondering- uh oh, what can I dream up!

Thanks!

Tracy :-)