Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Chocolate Scent-sations!

The most recent challenge for the SAFEteam challenge was entitled Bon Bons and Booze! Now I am not a big drinker, but I found this challenge interesting and had an immediate inspiration!

There are 4 things that are a must at the holidays in our house: homemade biscotti of all varieties, gingerbread men, Grandma’s cranberry salad, and chocolate! My mom makes dozens of varieties of chocolate treats; Peanut Butter Balls, dipped Pretzels, fudge, the list goes on! My addition to her chocolate plate is a creamy, brandy filled truffle.



When this challenge was announced I knew immediately I had to recreate these decadent treats in a bar of soap! So here they are, complete with heavy cream, real unsweetened chocolate, and YES! a shot of brandy. My favorite part of this soap is the stamp I found, "a balanced diet is a chocolate in each hand" The stamp also inspired me to create an additional soap with a chocolate theme! What is better than one chocolate, but two!



You can view the rest of the entrants on the SAFEteam blog starting on Friday. Be sure to vote and comment on your favorite BonBon inspired soap for a chance to win a FREE bar of soap! To purchase Brandied Chocolate Truffle Soap or its companion soap, Raspberry Torte, visit my Etsy shop.

I'd like to share the edible recipe with you as well, as it is too good not to share!

The Edible Brandied Chocolate Truffles

10 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
3 Tbl unsalted butter
½ c heavy whipping cream
1 Tbl light corn syrup
¼ c brandy

8 oz semi sweet chocolate
½ c cocoa powder, fine chopped nuts, toasted coconut (your choice!)

In med glass bowl, melt 10 oz choco with butter in micro, 30 secs. Stir and repeat. Set aside.

Heat cream and corn syrup in sauce pan over med heat until simmering. Remove and pour over choco. Let stand 2 min, then slowly stir in circles, til all choco melted and cream incorporated. Gently stir in brandy. Pour in 8 x 8 glass dish and refrigerate 1 hr.

Using a melon baler, scoop chocolate onto a sheet pan lined with wax paper and return to fridge for 30 min.

Place toppings in individual bowls. Set aside.

Now place 8 oz semi sweet choco in med mixing bowl. Place this on top of another larger bowl lined with a heating pad set on medium. Stir choco occasionally and heat to 90-92 degrees F. Do NOT allow to go over 92 to maintain a crisp crunch when complete.

Remove balls from fridge and shape into rounds.

Dip into melted chocolate using forks. Roll in desired topping. Place on baking sheet and cool for 1 hr. Store in fridge and serve at room temp.

This time I used some sea salt as one of the toppings and that was a nice contrast with all the sweet, richness of the truffles. Drink, be Merry, Eat more Chocolate! Enjoy!

3 comments:

Hansen Soap Co. said...

Are you trying to give me serious chocolate cravings??? LOL!! I love them, and the sinful recipe :)

Brett Widmann said...

Sounds like a very delicious and tempting recipe. :)

Desktop said...

Those look great!

You think that if soap smelled and tasted like chocolate the threat that my mom used to use on me when bad- I'll wash your mouth out with soap- wouldn't be as bad?

Jenny
DeskTop Labels