Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Challenged Again

When I entered the SAFEteam Soap challenge I really had a notion to make a “Soap on the Brain” bar! You’ve seen the brain mold and I envisioned fusing a guest size soap to it. I mean really, I live and breathe soap! But then we (soapers that is) all do, don’t we?! On the other hand there is way more to me than soap. There are my kids, my family, my church, etc, etc. And there is also this other me that is a woman in the middle of all the other worlds.



Who am I and how can I describe myself in a bar of soap?! Good grief, talk about a challenge. Outwardly, I am wife, mom, Christian, sister, daughter, soaper, and so on. Inwardly, a little more complex…loner, yet I don’t know a stranger; pleaser, yet likes to have my own way; lover of knowledge, but set in my ways; likes to be challenged, yet dislikes change; artsy but likes organization and clean lines; modern momma with some pretty classical/vintage ideals and a hankering for family history and antiques; perfectionist that has come to accept that I can’t do everything. And that is only scratching the surface.



My challenge soap has three layers of my favorite Cold Process recipe that includes a huge dollop of shea butter and my own personal blend of oils and fragrances: anise for spice and spunkiness, lavender as a favorite, sandalwood to soften, and lilac for memories. Each layer represents a piece of me (though I still don’t think the totality). The first layer is tinted black with activated charcoal. This layer is for the modern me…web surfer, Etsy soap seller self and for that part of me that likes organization and clean lines. The next layer is in lavender. It is lightly embossed with a lace pattern and is for the soft side of me…the girly part that likes to get dressed up in frills and snuggle up with my kiddos, for the nostalgic part of me. The final layer is swirled with color for the part that loves color and vibrancy in life and also representing how all of my roles somehow mesh and swirl together to make me.

I hope you enjoy this soap…it truly is a piece of me and thank you for the challenge. While it isn’t exactly how I perceived it originally, it’s ok…because I am NOT perfect and life is a constant lesson! Cheers!


Step on over to the SAFEteam Blog to check out how other soapers perceive themselves and take a vote! You might even win a bar of the winning soap!

4 comments:

LynnAnne said...

What a fun thing to think about...putting 'yourself'into a bar of soap. I love what you came up with & how the different scents & colors are diffeent "layers" of you! Thanks for sharing!

Soap Scent-sations said...

Thank you. It was a fun challenge!

Snowberry Creek said...

I enjoyed your post on how you're like the bar of soap you created. Very interesting perception of yourself. Life is layers and very complex...you brought that out exceptionally well. I especially can relate to the end remark on how life is not perfect and is a constant challenge. Thanks for sharing your insight on yourself. You made me stop and think this morning about who I am. :) The soap turned out looking great! What a great post!

Michelle said...

You are very talented! Sometimes we work so very hard to accomplish things without really understanding what drives the actions.