Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Mmmmmmmmm....Lavender

Ok, so by now you probably have realized I have a thing for lavender. I love it in bath and body products as a stand-alone or in a variety of combinations. One of my all time favorite essential oil blends is lavender and lemon. It is such a pleasant combo of sweet/spicy and tart/tangy. It is great in soap, bath bombs, bath oils, and even lotion. Oh yum, I am dreaming of things to make as I type...drool, drool.


Some of my favorite lavender findings on Etsy.
(this spotlight featured on ByHand Gallery)

I love lavender as a plant! It's lovely grey/green stemy plant is a great accent in any garden and it even stays somewhat green in the cold of the winter. In the summer of course there are the tall purple spikes of tiny fragrant flowers. I love walking among them (being careful of the bees I have to share them with). They always give off a wonderful smell as you brush past them. I can't help but stop and pick a sprig to tuck behind my ear. And of course bundles for drying are a must. Great for laying in baskets or tucking in vases, filling sachets, or adding to soap. I LOVE lavender.

This year I thought I would try my hand at making some lavender jelly and have dried enough to make a small batch. I can't wait to try it. In the mean time, I've used fresh buds to make a muffin recipe I had been wanting to try.

Recipe as follows:

Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter/margerine (dairy free version at our house)
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk (we use almond milk)
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup fresh lavender buds, rinsed and seperated from stem

Directions:
Cream butter and sugar, add eggs, milk, vanilla, salt, and baking powder, blend well.
Sift in flour, mix thoroughly.
Fold in lavender.

Bake in 350 degree hot oven for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

While still warm glaze with 1/2 cup powdered sugar and juice of one lemon.



Ok, these are as yummy as can be. Perfect combination of lavender and lemon! Once Again! Who knew you could eat it too! I will definitely be attacking the lavender plants earlier and more heavily next year. Alas, they are almost done for this season...I'll leave the rest for the bees.

1 comment:

Gabbriella said...

YUMMY!!!! looks wonderful... I had a lavender sugar cookie recipe if I can find it I can send it to you if you like...just let me know on my blog if you want.