Saturday, June 27, 2009

Cleaning Day - DIY Household Cleaner

Well, this is not my most favorite task in the world, but I MUST clean house today. As I started the process I realized I was out of cleaner so I had to make some. Make some you say? Yes! I make my own chem free cleaner that works like a charm. So I thought I would share this easy, breezy all purpose recipe with you.

Here is the basic recipe:

1 cup baking soda
1 cup washing soda (this found in the laundry section of your supermarket and Arm & Hammer's YELLOW box--not the orange)
1 cup Borax

To this I add one of the following essential oil blends:
lavender and tea tree
rosemary and orange
or
lemon and lime

It only takes 7-10 drops per batch so do an equal parts blend first, then add on top of mixed powders. Shake thoroughly. Of course it will work just fine without the essential oils, but I like the scent and know that they also have some other added benefits. I keep mine in a plastic Gladware container, but something with a sifter on top would be ultra handy. If you happen to see one let me know!

This all purpose cleaner works wonders on tubs, toilets, and sinks in both the kitchen and bath. Just sprinkle on surface and wipe with a damp sponge. Rinse thoroughly. Try it, you might just like it. It's chemical free, easy to make, easy to use, and costs less than your standard cleaners. As with all cleaners, it is a good idea to to a test patch first.

No comments: